All staff should complete the Health & Safety Services Fire Safety e-training module.
Personal Responsibilities of All Staff
LEARN – how to prevent fires. What to do in the event of a fire. How to raise the alarm. How to use extinguishers.
CHECK – that staircases, landings, escape routes and exit doors are kept clear of obstructions at all times.
ENSURE – that smoke and fire-stop doors are not wedged open.
PREVENT – fires – pay particular attention to careless smoking.
REPORT – anything you consider to be a fire risk to your supervisor or the School Health & Safety Coordinator.
ASK – if in doubt. Do not wait – ask for advice.
Action to be Taken on Hearing the Fire Alarm
- Leave the building by the nearest exit. Do not attempt to use the lifts.
- Go to the designated assembly point for the building, as indicated on the blue Fire Instructions Notice.
- Fire Wardens and Fire Marshalls will check the building is clear before exiting.
- Do not go back into the building until instructed to do so by the Fire Warden, School Health & Safety Coordinator or Security.
If a Fire is Discovered:
- Raise the alarm (press the nearest fire alarm call point).
- Telephone the Security Office on ext. 32222, and state the exact location of the fire, the location of any trapped persons, the type of fire (fuel involved) and report any hazardous substances that maybe involved.
- Tackle the fire if safe to do so, by using the appropriate firefighting equipment provided.
- If your efforts have no effect on the fire or the fire is large, CLOSE THE ROOM DOOR and evacuate the building and report to the designated assembly point for the building.
Further information and guidance on Fire Safety is available from the Health and Safety Services website: http://wsh.leeds.ac.uk/info/185/fire_safety/108/fire_safety