National Saturday Club
From Saturday 11 November 2017, the School of Fine Art, History of Art and Cultural Studies will be running the National Art & Design Saturday Club as part of a national network created by the Sorrell Foundation and run by the Saturday Club Trust. The Club gives young people aged 13 to 16 (years 9, 10 and 11) the unique opportunity to study art & design on Saturday mornings at their local college, university or museum, free of charge.
The aim is to nurture the young people’s talent and build their confidence and self-esteem. Last year more than 1,250 young people across the UK took part in a local Saturday Club, giving them an insight into student life and an understanding of new opportunities that further and higher education can offer, as well as helping to improve their school work.
The Club offers young people the opportunity to:
- Attend 20 weeks of inspiring classes over the academic year
- Experience a range of different disciplines using our specialist facilities, including printmaking, photography, sculpture, archives, history of art, and many more
- Work with different academics, artists and staff from the across the University of Leeds
- Visit different galleries and museums
- Collaborate with arts organisations including the Arts Council Collection
All activities are free of charge. A full list of Club dates for this academic year can be found here.
Saturday Club members are also given the opportunity to attend an inspirational Masterclass with one leading figure from UK industry, and to exhibit their work in their own Summer Show at Somerset House, London.
The Club is suitable for young people of all abilities with an interest in art & design. Participation in the Club is free of charge ― this includes travel for any trips undertaken during the club.
The Club is now fully booked for this year with a waiting list. If you would like your name to be added to this list, please email Sarah Harvey Richardson: S.H.Richardson@leeds.ac.uk
For further information about the club, please contact the Saturday Art Club Officer, Sarah Harvey Richardson: S.H.Richardson@leeds.ac.uk